Tips for Binge Drinkers
Happy St. Patty’s Day!
While everyone on Facebook is busy posting about how much they plan on drinking today, we at The Man Sphere would like to remind everyone to drink responsibly. It’s not a day for the celebration of blood poisoning.
That said, here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Stay hydrated. Begin your bar-hopping with at least 500 ml. of water, and keep drinking water throughout the night.
- Don’t bother driving anywhere at all. Just get there, and get cabs.
- Vitamin B complex and a couple of Tylenol prior to drinking will help stave off the hangover effects.
- Gatorade, for its rehydrating and electrolytes, is essential day-after equipment to get rid of the hangover. Get some in your fridge today and be ready (for some reason, Powerade doesn’t seem to work as well).
- I’m pretty sure I don’t need to remind you what happens below the belt with too much alcohol. But its friendly name is “whiskey dick.” So I reminded you.
- Steve’s old-school hangover cure: A bottle of orange Gatorade, an x-large 4&4 from Tim’s, two Advil and two Tylenol. A fried egg sandwich with cheese helps too.
- Alcohol actually acts as a suppressant to testosterone, and therefore also growth hormone production. Continued heavy drinking forces the pancreas into overdrive to deal with the influx of sugars. Higher insulin production and lower testosterone levels cause fat storage, which in turn increases estrogen production to handle the distribution of excess fat (especially to places like the chest, belly, and butt); this is why a beer gut is so hard…it’s the fat packed around the organs. By extension therefore, the ability to drink more than your buddies at any given event doesn’t make you more of a man. It actually makes you more of a woman, in a very real biological and chemical sense.
Have fun, but drink responsibly. Know your limit. And above all, weigh the importance of one night of binging against all the work you’re doing in the gym and the kitchen. There’s nothing wrong with a good time…just keep it good.